Integrated, Natural Approach to Treatment
Naturopathy is the practice of looking at the whole body when assessing health and treating illness and combines philosophy, principles and traditional knowledge with modern scientific evidence to foster health.
Naturopathic care has a primary focus on understanding signs and symptoms in order to treat the cause as well as provide symptom relief utilising a range of integrative solutions, with a strong emphasis on education to encourage the practice of prevention.
Addressing All Health Conditions & A Focus On Prevention
Selph Naturopaths work with evidence based treatments, pathology findings and thorough consultations to address both acute and chronic conditions.
Naturopathic treatment may help with:
- Digestive issues
- Allergies and food intolerances
- Sleeping difficulties and insomnia
- Body Composition – weight gain or loss issues
- Anxiety and mood issues
- Hormonal imbalances
- Skin conditions
- Auto immune diseases and Fibromyalgia
- Preconception care
Additionally, our Naturopaths individually tailor treatments from a preventative perspective to address symptoms before they become a health issue or condition.
They can support you in your current diagnosis or health concern in conjunction with your primary health care provider to manage unwanted side effects or optimise dietary and lifestyle considerations.
All treatments undertaken are evidence based and prescribed on the basis of pathology investigations when required and thorough consultations.
Drawing From a Range of Modalities
Naturopaths use a range of modalities in their practice. This may include:
- Herbal medicine
- Nutritional medicine
- Dietary and lifestyle advice
- Massage therapy or other therapies
What To Expect In An Initial Consultation
The initial consultation will involve a thorough analysis and case taking exercise, reviewing what might be influencing how you are feeling, how you got this way, and what may be preventing you from getting better.
Our Naturopaths will discuss your own concerns, as well as your health goals and how we can help you reach them.
They will review sleep, diet, energy, stress, past medical history, digestion, mental health and physical activity, plus any other topics that may be relevant. From this a collaborative plan is created which considers:
- What you are able to manage
- Whether other investigations are needed
- If referrals are are necessary
- Supportive supplements, dietary adjustments and lifestyle considerations.
Understanding The Naturopathic Principles
1. The Healing Power of Nature
The body has an innate ability to heal. Our Naturopaths help to identify obstacles that are preventing this healing, and suggest strategies to better manage.
These obstacles often revolve around behaviours that do not serve us. The environment we live in, our beliefs, interactions with others, lifestyle and diet all affect our health and wellbeing.
2. Identify and Treat The Cause
Identify the root cause of the symptoms and address any aggravating factors.
Our Naturopaths will help to address the cause with thorough consultations and investigations considering genetics, lifestyle, diet, environmental factors and optimal ranges. For example:
- Feeling fatigued despite all blood tests being within range or ‘normal’: Our Naturopaths will consider suboptimal ranges or what else might be driving the fatigue.
- Diagnosed as pre-diabetic: We address diet and support pathways involved to prevent progression.
- Persistent digestive complaints: Analyse potential food intolerances, dysbiosis or imbalance in gut microbiome, stress, poor digestive enzyme production or require a referral.
3. First Do No Harm
The most gentle, non-invasive interventions which support the bodies innate ability to heal are the mainstay of treatment, with an effort made not to suppress the symptoms. For example:
- Suffering poor sleep: Our Naturopaths consider all the elements of the clients day; their stress levels, whether there is adequate wind down in the evening, diet, and meal times. If these are not concerning, we then may prescribing herbal medicine to improve or induce sleep.
4. Naturopath As Teacher
The primary role of a Naturopath is to educate, empower and motivate clients to assume more personal responsibility for their health.
Our Naturopaths will seek to clearly outline to clients the obstacles and issues in their lifestyle that are causing issues and how these should be managed. For example:
- Dietary and lifestyle changes are fundamental to preventing type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
5. Treat The Whole Person
The holistic philosophy of Naturopathy recognises that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Mental, emotional, functional, structural and spiritual aspects of an individual are inseparable from the whole and unique to each of us.
Our Naturopaths will treat the person and not the condition, recognising that illness is not exclusive to one aspect of an individual or body system.
Naturopaths are experts in prevention. Offering preventative treatments that address future issues as a result of current symptoms or lifestyle habits is a mainstay of Naturopathy. Prevention is always better than cure. It is easier and cheaper to prevent disease than to treat it.
As with all treatments at Selph Health Studios, your Naturopath will be able to see and discuss your past and current treatments with any other of the Selph practitioners you are being treated by. This ensures that your treatments and wellness plan are both cohesive and collaborative across all disciplines.