An opinion series by the Selph Health Studios Nutritionist, Jenny Boss MHumNutr, responding to what you’ve read online.
Let’s face it.Whatever good intentions you have you’re likely to over indulge over the Christmas and New Year holidays. Lots of alcohol, way too much chocolate and regular partying and eating out can nudge the scales in the wrong direction.
At some point you’ll want to get back on track with your eating and may be tempted by one of the many cleanses or detoxes available. They promise so much don’t they? Shed the kilos! Cleanse your gut! Increase energy!
I’m all for going on a cleanse after a period of indulgence, but you really don’t need to fork out for expensive shakes or supplements when there is plenty of fresh, unprocessed food available.
What you need to know
- Don’t confuse ‘weight loss’ with ‘healthy’. With some cleanses that offer meal-replacement shakes you’ll lose weight, but much of this is water. This weight will quickly return once you’ve finished your cleanse.
- Your body does a good job of cleansing itself, given the opportunity. Every day your liver and kidneys work hard at getting rid of toxins.
- If you buy detox supplements online from overseas, be aware that these products are unregulated. Some are banned for sale in Australia and for good reason. Their ingredients may cause unpleasant, long-lasting side effects.
How to DIY cleanse
- Cut down on alcohol, refined carbs like white flour and sugar, all processed foods and caffeine. Your body will thank you.
- Start to think about what you put into your body. Nurture it with plenty of fresh, unprocessed food and lots of water. Your body thrives on plant foods like vegetables, fruit, wholegrains, nuts, seeds and legumes, lean protein and healthy fats like olive oil, avocado and oily fish (salmon, tuna and sardines).
- Rather than preparing lots of juices or shakes, make up a batch of vegetable-packed soup. This naturally has a much lower sugar content than juices, tends to be far higher in fibre and fills you up.
- Don’t limit your cleanse to just a few weeks. Make healthy eating a daily habit and support your body’s natural detox organs, the liver and kidneys, with essential nutrients and plenty of water.
Jenny Boss is the lead nutritionist at Selph Health Studios. Jenny works alongside her clients to build healthy and sustainable eating habits to suit your body and goals.
We’re offering 20% off initial appointments with Jenny for the remainder of the year. Enter consult20 at the check out book in an appointment today.