Chiropractic care stands as the basis of one of the four pillars of health at Selph Health Studios, the Structural pillar. This is primarily because Chiropractic care aims to restore spinal function and promote the bodies natural abilities to self-regulate.
When we look at the practitioners behind the Structural pillar at Selph, we see a team of dedicated practitioners driven by personal experience. They have each found a reason to pursue Chiropractic care, including the latest addition to the Selph Health Studios Chiropractic team, Dr. Natalie Hope.
Dr. Natalie was first exposed to manual Chiropractic therapy when she was a competitive volleyball player. From that day onwards, she knew that she wanted to pursue a career in manual therapy. We recently sat down with Natalie to learn more about her approach and treatment philosophy.
Hi Natalie, first thing’s first. Why did the Chiropractic approach appeal to you?
The Chiropractic method appealed to me as it has success treating a wide range of neuromusculoskeletal concerns, is multimodal and preventative.
Have you seen these benefits in action? Are there any benefits that you think patients have seen in your treatment?
I have seen three primary benefits of treatment, these include:
- Understanding of their dysfunction/presenting concern via thorough history and examination.
- Tailored care for their presenting concern.
- Assurance that chiropractic care is suitable for their case, otherwise we refer to the relevant discipline.
When people hear ‘Chiropractor’ they often think about back pain. In your opinion, what are the other possible benefits of seeing a Chiropractor?
Chiropractors are skilled at caring for the neuromusculoskeletal system of the body, which includes; nerves, spinal joints, peripheral joints, muscles, ligaments and fascia. A Chiropractor is trained in treating back pain and in addressing; acute and chronic presentations, pain management, postural concerns, sports injury and rehabilitation, headaches, TMJ concerns and repetitive work/activity induced injuries.
Among the many common issues that are presented, poor posture often comes up. What are the suggestions you have given to patients to improve their posture?
- Distribute your body weight evenly on both sides of the body (sitting/standing)
- Roll the shoulders back and down whilst tucking in your chin
- Lift chest up towards head/chin
- Tuck hips slightly forward/angle hips upwards
- When sitting; adjust chair height so eyes are level with screen, use a lumbar pillow
- Don’t prolong posture for more than 20 minutes
If you wanted to learn more about the benefits of Chiropractic treatment, what would you recommend people read?
To learn more about chiropractic treatment, I would recommend you:
- Speak to a chiropractor or visit their website
- Visit the Selph website
- Speak to your GP
- Visit the Australian Chiropractic Association website
- Read published peer-reviewed articles
- Visit the APRAH website and listen to chiropractic podcasts
Now, more of a personal question. Are there any interesting podcasts you’d recommend?
Yes, I often like to listen to podcasts as I drive or if I’m cleaning.
- Mitochondria, exercise, and metabolic health – the drive
- More Blood to Your Brain – life by Design
- The 10 traits of Emotional Resilience- life by Design
- What happens in your brain when you taste food – TED TALKS DAILY
Why Selph? There are many people out there offering Chiropractic Treatment – what made you join Selph?
For practitioners and clients, the collaborative model used at Selph Health Studios means that the care for the client is comprehensive as it utilises the expertise and techniques across multiple disciplines and practitioners.
Chiropractic care is a key element of Selph practice. To welcome Dr. Natalie Hope to Selph, we’re offering 25% off all Initial Consultations with the code NAT25. You can follow this link to book in your initial consultation.
Terms and conditions: This offer is valid for Initial Consultations offer, valid once per person.